Sunday 5 August 2012

Sunday Stash #25

Scrap Savers


Are you a scrap saver? 
I mean, how small does a piece of fabric have to be before you relegate it to the Preschool donation bag? 
My current 3 boxes of scraps
If you are into Paper Piecing, then no scrap is too small to save. Since starting this method I have been saving the MOST ridiculous sized pieces. 
By the way this is my Preschool scrap basket!
Have you been following the Practically Paper Piecing Blog Hop these past 5 days? If you saw Kate's post you will see her miniscule PP blocks measuring 2" square! What! Really? Oh yes - she's making a sweet mini quilt for the mice of Brambly Hedge.


This week I was the beneficiary of two generous scrap savers. The first was Jane, from Where Jane Creates, who sent me some scraps (see my previous reference to her scrap bin) for my PPP 'Summersville Neighbourhood' project. She sent me these delicious snippets in yellow, red, green, blue, orange and black. Thank you Jane.


The second was an amazing windfall of scraps from Kelly of Kelby Sews. I won these by linking up with her 'My Precious' post in June. Kelly has great taste in fabric and I was not disappointed to get some choice pickings from her floor. And many of them were decent sized.


Ok I will need some help with naming most of these prints so feel free to make a comment if you know one or two or ten. I only really recognise the Denyse Schmidt, Aneela Hooey and Heather Ross prints.


Reds


Oranges


Pinks




Greens


Blues


Purples (not a lot of this colour in my stash)


Wouldn't it be nice if more of us packaged up our scraps and sent them off in the mail to make another person's day? Or even manage a scrap swap?


Tips - Now scraps that are very small can also come in handy for making:


fabric covered buttons


cute gift tags (I used to bother sewing these on but now I just use a bit of stick glue for these)


Don't forget to link up with your stash additions below.


18 comments:

  1. Pretty scraps! I love to collect scraps from my friend and I hope to use them soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you let me know what you make Vera.

      Delete
  2. I love saving scraps! I use them all the time when making up scrappy blocks. I tend to reach for the scrap drawers/bags as opposed to the actual fabric pieces! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do that now that these ladies have improved my scrap basket no end.

      Delete
  3. There are some beauties there Fiona! I can make out some Sherbert Pips in the pinks, and several Lizzy House Pearl bracelets! I really like the purple fabric with the tea cups as well as the white teapots (I am sensing the start of a theme here).
    I don't have anything new to my stash to share this week...hopefully next Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, scrappy happiness :). Glad your little package arrived okay, hope the colours will work for your little houses.
    The small pink rings are Laurie Winsbrun (sp?), I think the viewmaster reels are Melody Miller.
    And all those pretty Lizzy House pearl bracelets, swoon....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both have Marieka on our 'pearl bracelet' crush thankfully. They are a great print to go anywhere. Thanks again Jane.

      Delete
  5. Ooh lots of lovely scrappy fabrics there! Glad to see you've well and truly caught the paper piecing bug - perfect use for scraps (as well as making more scraps! hehe).

    Now doesn't a scrap swap sound like a bit of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NICE SCRAPS!! *jealous* Let's see... You've got some Half Moon Modern red scissors and orange dots/curvy lines/diamonds. Melody Miller Viewfinders (rare and precious!!). Selvedge on the Bonnie & Camille aqua/red piece - I think Ruby? Seriously nice scraps there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you to get some scrappy surprises! I love my scraps and I did a post about them not so long ago too! Since then I either cut my odd pieces into 2", 3.5" or 5" or if there are long strips I keep them as I want to make a string quilt. Anything smaller goes into a bag for a crumb quilt. Might be my project for my next sewing weekend away in March next year! I love your labels, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 'crumb' quilt. Now I have to see one of those Sue!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful scraps! I have a *few* of those, the dots mostly, Ta Dah Dots maybe? I buy and then forget what they are LOL I'm definitely going to try out those gift tags, what a great idea! Did you buy the cardboard precut or make the whole thing yourself? They look fantastic and I love using scraps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they were precut from the news agent but I would rather have brown tags. Can t seem to find just the right side on Etsy though. Let me know if you find some.

      Delete
  9. That's quite a nice load of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That totally groovy quilt pattern looks like a challenge Simone - great prizes available in that competition.

      Delete
  10. I love that you said you got the scraps from my floor! Seriously, the floor is getting out of control! The pile is growing instead of getting smaller! So glad you were happy with my selections! I tried to take the designers you liked and give you fabrics with the same style. I think I'm going to have to give away another bag this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly it is a great idea. I am going to do one in the future too. Thanks again for the choice pickings.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.