Thursday 26 July 2012

Let's Get Acquainted Stops Here Today

G'day and thanks for popping in. Today I am one of two stops on today's Let's Get Acquainted Blog Hop for small blogs. You can stop by and get to know Mary from Spoolhardy Girl too!


Basic Info


Name: Fiona
Age: 43
Status: Married nearly 10 years to Dean (lovely guy)
Children: Duncan 8, Tristan 6 and Frances 4
Location: Currently just outside of Alstonville on the north coast of New South Wales in Australia.
Study: Bachelor of Education & Bachelor of Arts in Ancient History. Altogether it took 9 years part time by correspondance.
Vocation: Upper Primary School teacher for 13 years before leaving to raise the three children.

Blogging
Name: Finding Fifth (comes from driving my friend's car in the 90s and trying to find a 5th gear after only ever driving 4 gear cars)
Photo: Tumut River Valley near Lacmalac
Started: June 2011
Why: Blogging is a bit like keeping a diary but you get to connect to links and stick in a whole bunch of photographs to help document your journey as well.
Tip: I tend to stay away from critical remarks - not a fan of negatively toned blogs. I love witty and down-to-earth ones though.


Quilting
Started: October 2010 after watching an online tutorial by Jenni of the Missouri Star Quilt Company. My mum is an amazing quilter and so she nearly feinted when I told her I had bought a sewing machine, got lessons and started quilting. 
Fabric Love: Linen, textured solids, gingham, upcycled vintage sheets, Heather Ross, Denyse Schmidt, French General, Lizzy House, Aneela Hooey, Sweetwater Designs, Saffron Craig and Japanese prints. You can see more on my Pinterest board. 
Quilt Book: "Simple Home"by 'Sweetwater Designs'.
Equipment Must: A sharp blade in a rotary cutter. I need to buy one of those circular sharpeners!
Technique Love: Hand quilting with DMC floss.
Technique Learn: I am learning how to do English Paper Piecing after being inspired by the Flickr Community and my lovely friend Kristy from Quiet Play. Her 'Practically Paper Piecing' Blog Hop kicks off on August 1st.
Quilt Group: I am a part of a group but it is a virtual one called 'Quilt Club Australia' on Facebook.  Feel free to join me there.


Other Interesting Info About Me
Book: 'The Lord of the Rings' by JRR Tolkien
Children's Book: I had Trouble in Getting to Sollar Sollew' by Dr Seuss
Movie: The Last of the Mohicans
Album: 'Flags' by Brooke Fraser
Artist: John William Waterhouse
TV Series: 'Larkrise to Candleford' and 'The Wire'
Channel: The History Channel
Historical Figure: Captain James Cook
Current Figure: Barack Obama
Causes: Women's health after childbirth - fistula and prolapse repair (see the work of Dr Catherine Hamlin)
Ambition: To live in Scotland for a few years.
Flora: Flannel Flower
Fauna: Birds
Secret Hobby: Lego

Culinary Indulgences


Breakfast: Pancakes with lemon and sugar
Lunch: Crusty bread roll with BBQ chicken with mayonnaise and salad
Dinner: Vegemite basted roast lamb with gravy, roasted pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot , potato, garlic, onion, Yorkshire pudding and cauliflower and broccoli au gratin
Dessert: semi-freddo
Restaurant: Indian, Thai or Italian.
Alcohol: Moscato 
Hot: Strong white breakfast tea in a china cup
Regular: Mineral water


Identifying? Inspired or Hungry? 


I also host a weekly fabric linky called 'Sunday Stash' where you can show off your latest finds and then skip around and see what lovelies others have found. You are more than welcome to come and join in THIS, or any other, Sunday. For more information click here.
Next stop is a tutorial for a simple paper pieced tree made from just 4 charm squares. You can find it here. Enjoy!

42 comments:

  1. You love Brooke Fraser. My respect just tripled. Had her on repeat just the other day before Youtubing her Hillsong stuff and getting homesick for our old church and singing her songs in the worship band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first heard her when she was still a teenager from New Zealand...and each of her albums keeps getting better. Now the 'Desert Song' from her Hillsong writing days is just awesome! She has an effortlessly beautiful voice.

      Delete
  2. Hi Fiona! Nice to put a face with a name! I think you are the same Fiona from Australia block swaps right? Love all the blocks you make, the kiddos are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...not me this time I'm afraid Julianne...but it does sound good. I am in a Quilt Bee with Quilt Club Australia (a free online Facebook group).

      Delete
  3. So nice to find out so much about you. I loved The Wire - rented season's videos of it - but haven't seen the final season yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is Janet...I waited a while before I saw Season 5 of 'The Wire' because I didn't want it to end. Such a cleverly written series and wonderful characters - even though some of my favourites died along the way.

      Delete
  4. So cool to find out more about you since I stop by and read your posts often. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Cherie you are a faithful reader...thank you for stopping by so often.

      Delete
  5. Hi Fiona nice to meet you. My favorite fabric is linen, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should I clarify that I like linen/cotton blend now.

      Delete
  6. Hey Fiona - at least I may actually recognise from you now from your pic (? taken at Dorrigo) if I bump into you around here:) Love your pp tree too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well noted Kirsten - yes at the Dorrigo rainforest sky walk. I hope we run into each other soon though...we have so much in common.

      Delete
  7. Love your post Fiona! No wonder we're friends - we have so much in common! Favourite movie, tv series, artist, ambition and you know I adore your quilting... definitely destined to be friends! hehe!

    P.S. Love that family photo of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah you are just my long lost younger sister is all!

      Delete
  8. love the story behind your blog name! great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it made sense then Julie. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. How nice to put a face to the name! Okay, now we'll have to get together one day for pancakes with lemon and sugar and a glass of moscato! Lots of lovely wineries here in Adelaide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A-ha Sue - when Marieka moves back to the Barossa we all plan to come over for a visit and stay in Tanunda so we will definitely do it.

      Delete
  10. I always wondered about your blog name, delighted to now wonder no longer! If we end up back in Scotland (and I am working on my other half for that to happen!) you are welcome to come visit!

    I was at a wonderful linen factory shop yesterday, you would have been in your element!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo aye we shall visit you my Latvian living, name-sharing Scottish bloggy quilt buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to get to know you on the blog hop. Yes, you did make me hungry and thanks for the cute tree tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes I am a bit hungry and........I like legos too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now there is 'Lord of the Rings' Lego I am buying my own sets! I have seen a sneak preview of 'The Hobbit' sets too!

      Delete
  14. "Why: Blogging is a bit like keeping a diary but you get to connect to links and stick in a whole bunch of photographs to help document your journey as well." --You took the words from my mouth :)

    "Tip: I tend to stay away from critical remarks - not a fan of negatively toned blogs. I love witty and down-to-earth ones though." --Amen, sister

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post and great tutorial (is it okay to combine my comments from both of your posts into one?). It is great seeing your family photo and I still LOVE your fairy tales quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that 'Fussy Fairytales' quilt was a lovely pattern. I am planning to use my '1001 Peeps' to make another.

      Delete
  16. Hi Fiona, thank you for the blog hop post! A Lord of The Rings fan, yeeeeah! I'm not sure which sharpener you want to get for your rotary blades, but if it's the blue one with different kind of grids of sandpaper on each side, don't bother! I have it and it's crap... Try to find one with good reviews (which I haven't found yet) and then you could let us blog readers know how it works out for you :))
    LOL for the 5th gear! I drive a 5-speed Mazda, but we also own a 6-speed Volkswagen and I always have to be careful switching cars since the VW-s 6th gear is the Mazda's reverse :))) Your story made me laugh!
    Your trees look really cute, special thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my the 6th gear and a combination of 2 manual cars would undo me totally. Last week we took delivery of a new Toyota Kluger - blissfully automatic!

      Delete
  17. Hi Fiona. You're the second person this week I've met with that name. I love it. Also love The Last of the Mohicans. What a great movie. And I like your little trees. Such a fun way to use up some great big prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne with an 'e' "which is quite distinguished".

      Delete
  18. Hi, Nice to meet another Lord of the Rings fan, we have several other likes in common too. Love your header pix. I have a thing about trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Patricia...I like how each of your posts begins with a quote...so I look forward to seeing our commonalities when your are on the 'blog hop' in October.

      Delete
  19. SO great to see your beautiful family and learn more about you, Fiona! That tutorial is adorable too. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fab to get to know you - you've told us so much about yourself and I love how you've used the mosaics. I too have the blue rotary cutter sharpeners and wouldn't recommend them, which is very disappointing as they could be such a big plus if they worked :( . Great to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stopping by on the blog hop - fun to learn about you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely meeting you. I adore the little tree. In fact, I am a botanist-quilter and am currently in a swap group called Be a Modern Swapper. When it was my month, I requested tree blocks. An entire tree quilt is in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey there, lovely to meet you,sorry I am late! You make gorgeous quilts and have good taste in fabric! I ordered French General and it arrived in the post today, it's stunning isn't it. I'm a primary school teacher too by the way :-) Great little trees :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Greetings from Scotland:-) Nice to find you through the blog hop. I'm amazed how much you get down and I like your trees!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a nice Get Acquainted post! Happy to visit your blog & check out some of your zakka projects too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely to meet you! I'm stopping by, very late, from the blog hop. Your mosaics are lovely and I enjoyed reading your other interesting info. I hope you do get to live in Scotland one day :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.