Thursday 22 December 2011

Christmas Sewing

I had a lot of Christmas fabric in my stash and put together some festive covers to put over our regular cushions.


Then I used Elizabeth Hartman's book 'The Practical Guide to Patchwork' to make a couple of cushions with some patchwork stars on them. They are from her 'Superstar' quilt on page 104. Assemble the 'Flying Geese' section first.

1. Rule a diagonal line on your 31/2" square

2. Sew along this line and then cut 1/4" from line to trim off triangle corner

3. Add the next square on the opposite side and repeat


5. Make 4 of these
 Then comes the assembly of Block A.

6. 11/2" strips around a 21/2" square.

7. Add the flying geese elements to 2 of the sides
8. Add a 31/2" square to each end of the remaining flying geese


9. Sew these onto the horizontals, taking care to match the seams by pinning well.

I added 2 extra borders to bump out the measurements for cushions.



This is my red version.



Quite fun actually. I had my mum to help me through it...she was on about the perfect seams!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your blog! I also love HSTs. I hqvr made a couple quilts with them, and they look completely different. One of my favs is the zigzag.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.