Wednesday 20 July 2011

Lessons in Futility

Every school holidays I fall into the trap of futile sorting. No not my fabric stash...but Lego pieces. You think I would learn that it is almost a waste of time. Time that I will NEVER have back again. But still I do it. 


Years ago Lego reinvented itself from the verge of bankruptcy with a the production of thematic kits and a clever Lego club with catalogues sent directly to children. I have 2 boys aged 6 and 71/2 who have been into Lego since my firstborn turned 3 and assembled his first basic kit.


Kits are wonderful, the first time you assemble, because every piece is in the box.  At least it should be.  Last Christmas our 'Wild West Toy Story train' came without a wheel and 2 left Rex the dinosaur legs. You can imagine the tears. )And even after 3 phone calls to the Australian office, still not replaced! But that is another issue)


But my kids have a tendency to morph the completed kits into other things (mostly hundreds of small pieces) and then it is almost impossible for them to re-make anything because they can't find the pieces. This is where I step in in a act of mercy and self sacrifice and sort the Lego into containers. 





I brought our outdoor table inside and desinated it the 'Lego Table' 
but Lego still finds its way to every table and counter around the house. 
Mostly the floor though.




I know it is pointless...like shifting grains of beach sand with tweezers...but I feel an almost compulsion to do it. Perhaps I am secretly an OCD candidate because once I start, I can't seem to stop. Does anyone else have this affliction?








This time I had purchased some great see-through-lid containers to help the process of organisation. And I got out the permanent marker and labelled the boxes.






I find Lego sorting quite therapeutic. But my favourite is to use the instructions to make the kits. Plus I had threatened no more Lego kits for birthdays and Christmas unless things were re-made and kept in one piece until next holidays (famous last words).


So we got out some of the instruction books and re-made some of the helicopters and cars. The boys managed to make some of their own 'Cars 2' designs complete with an oil rig and then proceeded to take them to the bath to re-enact the opening scenes. (nb: bath Lego is still drying out on tea towels).  






So the moral of the futile sorting is...now the Lego can fit into crates and be put away until the next holidays (at least that IS the plan).

5 comments:

  1. Greetings from Tunisia! Just stopped by from Quilting Bloggers to enjoy your blog and your quilts which are very pretty. Being mildly OCD myself, I can understand your predicament with Legos. But I try to channel the OCD into quilting or mosaics and just dump all the Legos in one bucket. I occasionally break down and construct something with Legos, then draw it.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks for posting Nadia...Tunisia sounds so romantic a place to dwell. Lovely for you to stop by. PS. I finally got the Lego into the garage two days ago...it kept getting unpacked by son #1. He built the Queen Mary 2 and the Brittanic as a hospital ship so I let him keep them intact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came here from Quilting Bloggers also. I read to the bottom of the page and found this entry about the Leggos and I`m hooked. I tried to "follow" but there seems to be a link glitch so I`ll bookmark you instead! Thanx for a great laugh. Signed, gramma to 3 boys, if ya know what I mean, and obviously, you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought I`d add, I`d be comfortable with just chucking the whole lot, but I`ve spent a good portion of their college fund on Leggos so I save them in hopes they`ll be hot items on Ebay some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carla...it's nice that you found me through QB...so many great pages out there. Yes Lego is expensive but thankfully it never loses it's value. I look out on ebay a lot and it is competitive buying! But it's a great product. BTW my son has added a larger QM2 and a Bismark to the collection now...but he has been putting things back. I should post a pic of his creations on here, they are amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.